Whether you are going for a self guided trip or guided adventure holiday, you have to pack your bag. Here is our tips on what to consider bringing over to make your adventure run smoothly.
Here are some tips on what to pack for your Croatian adventure holiday:
1. Rules for adventure packing in summer
2. Rules for adventure packing in spring and fall
3. Rules for adventure packing in winter
4. Packing list: kayaking adventure
5. Packing list: hiking adventure
- Consider day length on July 1st: sunrise at 5:19h, the sun sets at 20:47h (Zadar)
- Summers can get very hot. Even for Croatian standards, let alone if you are coming from further up the northern hemisphere. Luckily they are not humid as in Cuba or Thailand Winter season. Nevertheless, count on the possibility for slightly higher exhaustion due to temperature. Any outdoor activity in summer will require a lot of hydration, breathable clothes that dry quickly and something convenient to carry all that around.
- Summer storms occasionally happen. They are accompanied by rain and strong wind, lasting anything between half an hour to a full day. If you are out at sea or in the mountains you will need to have a rain jacket and possibly a set of spare clothes.
- Days are long. Unless bar hopping is your kind of adventure on weekends, you will not need a lot of clothes for the nights.
- The evenings can be chilly. The more remote your trip takes you the more it is likely you'll need long sleeves and long pants to enjoy the evening under the stars.
- Consider day length March 1st: the sun rises at 6.37 and sets at 17.47h (Zadar)
- There is a possibility of prolonged medium intensity winds (up to 12 knots). It doesn't happen all the time but there is the likelihood that out of 7 days you may have 5 days of wind. For aerobic activity think about thin multilayer of clothes to protect you from the wind and breathe at the same time.
- Day temperature gets very different from night temperature. Temperatures in the night's drop to 10C (50F) from daily 20C (68). This may mean carrying an extra layer of clothes if your adventure ends in the evening.
- Consider day length on December 1st: the sun rises at 7.15h and sets at 16.23h (Zadar)
- Wind chill factor. In winter winds are very frequent and they significantly impact the feel of the temperature. On the coast or up on the mountains temperature of 5 degrees may feel like -10.
- Alpine conditions in the mountains. Planning the trip to mountains should be taken with special attention to the weather. Some roads may not be closed and some hiking trails (even on Velebit that overlooks the sea) may require crampons and even ice axes.
- Offseason. Most services close in winter. For self-guided trips, depending on your adventure destination, this means that you will need to think ahead about getting your supplies. Think about how to carry those.
For water-based activities like kayaking and SUP here is a list of things to consider.
Apparel for kayaking adventure holiday
Footwear for kayaking adventure holiday
Accessories for kayaking adventure holiday
For hiking activities here is what we bring along
Apparel for hiking adventure holiday
Footwear for hiking adventure holiday
Accessories for hiking adventure holiday